I love porridge so so much, but I don’t have a microwave at home, and don’t always have the time-or the volition to wash a saucepan -to allow me to make it on the stove. You can buy instant porridge pots in the shops for something crazy like £1.50 for a small portion full of artificial golden syrup flavouring. So, I came up with this instant porridge rubble for the mornings that I’m in a huge rush. It has coconut cream in, which you buy in bar form from any supermarket. If you add water to coconut cream, it turns into coconut milk, and so just by adding water to the dry oat mix, you will still get a creamy and sweet result. This is also excellent for travelling, because most hotel rooms will have a kettle, and all you need to turn this yummy cocoa-coco-coffee-nut dust into a creamy porridge is some boiling water. I really recommend you take an extra 30 seconds to chop a banana in too, as it adds sweetness and it’s always good to get your vitamins in from the very first meal of the day. There are a number of flavour combos I like to do for this so keep your eyes peeled for more instant porridge recipes!
Makes enough for a good few days
Ready in 5 minutes
- Half a bar of creamed coconut, coarsely grated
- A builder’s mug of porridge oats
- Half a builder’s mug of nuts/seeds of your choice
- 2 heaped tbsp. raisins
- 1/2 tsp. cinnamon
- 1 tbsp. cocoa powder
- 1/2 tsp. ground coffee
- (You could also add a tbsp. brown sugar if you have a very sweet tooth)
- Tip your nuts into a food processor with the cocoa, coffee, & cinnamon and blitz until well chopped.
- Add in your oats and pulse for just a second: chopping the oats a tiny bit will help them to cook more quickly when you add the hot water.
- Stir in the raisins and grated coconut and store in a container
- Tip 4 heaped tbsp. of the porridge rubble into a bowl with a chopped banana
- Boil the kettle, and slowly add water to your porridge, stirring vigorously. Within seconds the water will absorb into the oats and bind everything together