This is such an easy dish, but please trust me on how deliciously soft, sweet, and insanely good this healthy French toast is, and how much you need to make this at the weekend! The usual egg mixture has been replaced by a silky mixture of banana and a little dissolved creamed coconut. Coconut milk would work too, but I love using bars of creamed coconut as they are cheap (80p), and you only have to use as much as you need so it lasts for ages. The result is a superbly caramelised crust and a squishy sweet, melt in the middle centre. Delicious on its own or scattered with berries, chopped mango, grilled peaches, toasted seeds……
Ready in 15 minutes
- 2 ripe bananas
- 1 heaped tbsp creamed coconut (about 30g)
- 2-3 slices of nice bread (brown seeded is my favourite)
- Topping of your choice
- Crumble the coconut cream into the food processor and add 4 tbsp. hot water to help it to dissolve. Stir it up until it breaks down a bit, but it doesn’t matter if you have some lumps.
- Add in the bananas and blend until smooth and creamy.
- Pour the mixture over your bread, rubbing it in to both sides and letting it sit for a few minutes to soak up the goodness.
- In the meantime pre-heat a large non-stick pan (or a regular pan with a little oil). When the bread is soaked on both sides, fry in the pan dor about 3 minutes on each side. It will start to look caramelised, and it doesn’t even matter if you undercook it because there is no raw egg here!
- Slice in half and top with whatever you like. Stuff into face, with the occasional ‘ooh’, ‘mmm’, and ‘damn this is so good’.