When I was recently on holiday in Budapest I encountered an amazing chain called hummus bar that basically sold lots of hummus and falafel based dishes for super cheap. Any Vegans or veggies (or chickpea appreciators) holidaying there will find it a real life saver, as it’s a pretty meaty (although otherwise amazing) town. Anyway, it inspired me to treat hummus not as a sidekick, but rather as a leading man, and that’s what led me to this dish: a substantial slick of warm garlicky hummus, adorned with a tumble of smoky veg and drizzled with tahini, olive oil, and lemon juice. With a little bread on the side, this is a fully fledged nutritious meal that I can’t recommend highly enough. Plus, it’s on the table within 15 minutes.
Ready in 15 minutes
FOR THE DREAMY HUMMUS (you might have a bit left over fr snacking or sandwiches)
- 2 tins of chickpeas
- Half clove of garlic
- Juice of half a lemon
- 1/2 tsp. cumin
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 tbsp. tahini
FOR THE SMOKY VEG TOPPING
- 1 aubergine
- 1 courgette
- 1 clove of garlic
- 1/2 tsp. smoked paprika
- 1 fresh red chilli (if you like it hot)
- 2 tbsp. tomato passatta
- Your favourite fresh herbs (optional)
- A drizzle of tahini, olive oil and lemon juice to drizzle
- Tip the contents of your chickpea tins into a large bowl and blast in the microwave for 4 minutes
- In the mean time, finely chop one clove of garlic the chilli, and fry in a splash of oil in a large pan. Cut the aubergine and courgette into bitesize pieces and add to the pan. Fry for around 8 minutes until softened and a little charred on the edges.
- Add the smoked paprika to the veg, and stir fry for a minute more before adding the passatta. Reduce to a low heat.
- Returning to the hummus, drain your now warm chickpeas, reserving about 4 tbsp. of the water. Chuck into a food processor with the rest of the hummus ingredients, the water, and a good pinch of salt. Blend until smooth and add a little more water if you like it thinner.
- To serve, smooth the hummus into bowls, spoon over the smoked veg, and drizzle with more tahini, lemon, and good oil if you like. Sprinkle over any herbs you fancy,
- Eat, and feel both exotic and healthy.