Ok, ok, I’m sure you don’t need any more reasons to buy avocado, but this has been such a hit with my friends that I thought I’d share the recipe nonetheless. It’s a lovely little complete meal for brunch, lunch, or supper, with good brown bread, protein-packed beans, and some healthy fat from the avo. Having said that, the beautiful smoky beans make a delicious topping for toast in their own right- and are tastier and healthier than a in of beans from the supermarket. This meal is one of life’s most simple pleasures.
Ready in 10 minutes
- 2 chunky slices of nice bread (I like brown & seeded)
- 1 clove of garlic
- Tin of black eyes beans
- About 5 tbsp. passatta
- 1/4 tsp. cumin
- 1/4 tsp. smoked paprika
- Splash of balsamic vinegar
- 6-8 cherry tomatoes
- Squeeze of lemon
- 1 avocado (optional)
- Finely chop the garlic and fry in a splash of oil in a frying pan.
- Drain the beans and add to the pan with the spices and passatta. Fry and heat through, mashing a quarter of the beans in the pan with the back of a fork.This will make everything combine and ‘stick’ together nicely.
- Chop the fresh tomatoes into quarters and add to the pan with the vinegar.
- Whilst this heats through, pop your bread into the toaster.Slice the avocado.
- Pile your hot beans onto the toast, and lay slices of avocado (if using) on top. Squeeze over a little lemon juice, and tuck in happily.