Y’all know I love a good lasagne, but this one here might be my favourite yet. Sweet potato is one of my most beloved ingredients, and it makes this lasagne really hearty and unctious. Caramelised bright orange sweet potato, layered with garlicky tomato sauce, satisfying wholewheat pasta, and a creamy and fragant pesto white sauce. All of the elements work in perfect harmony, and if you remember to roast the potato the next time your oven is on, this impresssive-looking dish is actually really easy to throw together.
Ready in 40 mins if your potato is already cooked
Serves 4 as a starter or 2 as a hearty main
FOR THE VEGGIE LASAGNE BIT
- 3 sweet potatoes
- 1 tsp. nutmeg
- 1 tin of tomatoes
- 1 clove of garlic
- 1/2 tsp, chilli flakes
- a splash of red wine or balsamic vinegar
- 12-16 wholeweat lasagne sheets
FOR THE SAUCY BIT
- 2 tbsp. coconut oil
- 3 tbsp. flour
- 400ml non-dairy milk
- A big bunch of basil
- A handful of nuts or seeds of your choice
- A small clove of garlic
- Slice your sweet potatoes lengthways, into 1-2cm slices. Lay the slice over 1 or 2 baking trays, drizzle with a spot of oil, and sprinkle over your nutmeg. Toss the potatoes around to get them coated, and bake in the oven for around 20 minutes at gas mark 5 or 6.
- In the mean time, make the quick tomato sauce. Heat a splash of oil in a saucepan. Chop your clove of garlic and fry for a minute or so, before adding the chilli flakes.Throw in the tinned tomatoes and simmer for 5 minutes until thickened a little. Then add your vinegar for a nice little twang, season, and set aside.
- For the white sauce, melt the coconut oil in a saucepan, and gradually add your flour. Stir continuously until you have a thick paste. Add your milk little by little, stirring all the time, until you have a thick white sauce. Pour into a blender and add the garlic, nuts, and basil. Whizz until smooth.
- Pre-heat your oven to gas mark 5.
- Now it’s time to layer! In a baking dish, start with a layer of half your sweet potato slices, and top with half of the tomato sauce. Layer on some lasagne sheets, then spread half of the pesto white sauce on top. Add a layer of pasta, another potato-tomato layer, pasta again, and then top with the remainign white sauce.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes until the pasta is cooked through.
- Cut into pretty wedges and eat up.