It was a gloomy Friday night after a 55 hour working week, and I needed to kick off my weekend with a bang- or more accurately a pop. Sorry, that was corny…
Waheyyy I’m on a pun roll, and that’s probably because I discovered a recipe for the best popcorn of my life and am very enthused about it. I made up this recipe based on a number of flavours I thought would taste good together, but the result was even better than imagined, with a result of nutty, buttery, sweet and creamy popcorn. It’s hard for me to articulate how delicious the end result was: they reminded me a bit of Werther’s Originals (‘butter candies’ I think would be the non-branded term), which have a kind of similar smooth and rich flavour, but actually they’re even better. This popcorn is a perfect movie night snack, and way healthier than the completely sugar-encrusted kernels you find in the supermarket. Also, homemade popcorn is super cheap.
Ready in well under 10 minutes
Makes 1 big bowl
WHAT YOU NEED
- 75g Corn kernels
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 2 tbsp. honey, agave or maple syrup
- 1 tbsp tahini
- 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
- a generous pinch of salt
- Place a large saucepan on a medium heat. Pour in your kernels and place the lid on the pan. Leave for a few minutes and you will begin to hear some popping!
- Once the popping has slowed to once every few seconds, remove the popcorn from the pan and place in your nice big bowl. Rather than tip the whole lot in, I like to scoop it out bit by bit so that the few unpopped and hard bits you get at the bottom of the pan can be discarded.
- Place your pan back on the heat for a few seconds and add in the coconut oil. As soon as it is melted, turn the heat off. Add in the tahini, vanilla, liquid sweetener and salt, and whisk together to make a smooth light brown elixir.
- Drizzle over our fresh popcorn and gently toss.
- Proceed with movie night.