Playing on a pasta machine has long been a favourite past-time of mine (cool kid, huh?), and as fresh pasta is normally made with egg, I thought that as a vegan I would have to give up this joyful pursuit. But that didn’t last long. With a bit of trial and error, I’ve come up with a beautiful fresh pasta recipe that is silky and satisfying, with a perfect bite and even a little yellow hue. You can channel your inner ‘nonna’ and simply roll the dough with a rolling pin if you don’t have a machine, and as for shaping, you can cut it into wonky ribbons, layer it into lasagnes, or stuff it with wonderful things. I’ll tell you about that it another post.
Ready in 40 minutes
EGG-FREE FRESH PASTA DOUGH
- 200g semolina flour
- 200g ‘tipo 00’ flour
- 200ml water
THIS IS HOW WE DO
- Mix your flours together in a large bowl.
- Make a well in the centre and gradually swirl in the water, incorporating more and more of the flour until everything comes together into a dough.
- Knead for 5-10 minutes until the dough is smooth, elastic, and stretchy
- Wrap in clingfilm and rest in the fridge for at least 20 minutes- the texture will change!
- At this point you can roll it however you want. If you’re using a roller, then run the pasta through the machine at least 5 times on its widest setting, folding each time, in order to start the stretchy and silky process. After that you can wind down through the different thicknesses until you have your desired size.