I’m obsessed with this fast and easy dinner just lately. When you’re busy and arrive home with a hole in your stomach and a poorly stocked fridge- this is perfect. I know it doesn’t sound fancy or anything, but sweetly sauteed veggies and comforting rice in a lovely aromatic spice mix is a real pleasure- especially when studded with juicy raisins and drizzled with creamy tahini. Try this the next time you’re in a pinch, and you’ll thank me. It makes tasty leftovers too.
Ready in 30 mins
WHAT YOU NEED
- Half a coffee mug of any rice- I’ve used basmati and brown with success.
- 1 large carrot
- Half an onion
- 1 heaped tbsp. garam masala
- 3 tbsp. raisins or sultanas
- Tahini for drizzling, if you have it
WHAT TO DO
- Cook your rice in boiling, salted water, according to packet instructions.
- 15 minutes before it’s ready, start on your veg. Finely dice the carrot and onion, or even better, blitz it in a food processor until finely chopped.
- Place a large saucepan on a low-medium heat and heat a splash of oil. Throw in your veg and gently fry for 10 minutes until soft and sweetened.
- 5 minutes before the rice is ready, add your raisins to the saucepan to absorb water and plump up.
- Drain the rice and raisins and set aside for a minute.
- Add the garam masala to your veg pan, and mix well to ensure that all the veg is well coated.
- Throw in the rice and raisins, and mix well again.
- That’s it! Bundle into bowls, and drizzle over your tahini.