I love sweetcorn! It’s so full of natural sweetness, but also- if you let it- has a great creamy starchiness that just loves to come out. Pair it with its best pals ginger and chilli, and you’re onto a winner This taco is a celebration of sweetcorn, beautifully complimented with a contrasting meaty, smoky mushroom. You can of course add salsa, avocado, and even vegan cheese- but the mushroom and corn are enough on their own to show you a pretty great time.
Ready in 25 mins
- 2 large Portobello mushrooms- or about 8 regular mushrooms
- ½ tsp smoked paprika
- A large cob of fresh sweetcorn
- 3 tbsp. of non-dairy milk
- 3cm piece of fresh ginger
- Fresh or dried chilli to taste
- 2 x wholewheat tortillas
- Fresh tomatoes, avocado, or other taco pals
- Start by roughly chopping your mushrooms and placing in a bowl with the smoked paprika and a good lug of olive oil. Set aside to marinate for ten minutes.
- Run the knife down the cob of corn to remove the kernels. Finely shop the ginger. Place a small saucepan on a medium heat and add a splash of oil. Fry the garlic until fragrant, and then chuck in the sweetcorn. Stir fry the corn for 2-3 minutes, before adding the milk, and chilli to taste. Cook for 5 more minutes until the corn is juicy, and the blitz the mixture in a food processor until you have a rough puree.
- Heat a frying pan on high, and throw in your mushrooms. Stir-fry for about 5 minutes until juicy and a little charred.
- Heat your tortillas in a pan (they always taste better when they’re a bit toasted). Now, spread on the creamed corn and sprinkle over the mushrooms.
- Wrap up with anything else you like, and tuck in whilst everything is still hot.